Aires naturales??

sue

Miembro veterano
7 Abril 2005
FPSclinic-1.jpg

The way forward down or just downhill…?

In spring 2001 the Swedish assosiation for Friesian horses arranged a seminar in how to train your horse before a "Keuring"

Since I been organising clinics in Classical Riding for some years, I get in touch with a lot of "horse people" and we have discussed these training methods a lot, but I have never heard anyone defend this. Except trainers in Holland ! One of them explained "that the price was so high on a horse that was judge high in "Keuring" that it excused any method to get there"

The Swedish animal protection law consider this - abuse of animal- and against the Swedish law. The Dutch trainers are informed about this but there is still people that think this is a great method. Is it just us that's interested in Classical riding that is against this?

Below you can read a letter I received from one of the participants in this clinic.

" We where divided in two groups. It was the same horse that was on the lounge the whole time, because the trainer thought it was easier since it took a long time to put on all the geers. It also took a long time for the horse to get so tired that he accepted all this and started to trot normally. He was very stressed and as soon as a car passed by he got really scared and started to canter. The trainer just thought this was stupid. ( It might be that a horse with his head tied down to his knees cant see much of the surroundings so he really was scared)

After one and a half hour the groups changed places. The trainer talked for a while and put on more stuff. The horse was now dressed in chambong - pessoa harness - one other kind of side draw reins - about 400 grams of weights on all four legs and finally leather straps with metal rings around the fetlocks to make him lift higher.

"I could not make myself watch the hole time. At the end the horse looked like a Christmas tree with all the geers on. He might have stepped under a hoof length more after this torture but he carried all his weight on the front with his head under the belly line and totally restrained with all the different "aids". He could not ,in any way ,change his working position. On the trainers it seemed that in Holland ,this was considered "normal" training before Keuring. They also had all this equipment for sale.

" I don´t think I have missunderstod the method, what I have described is just what I have seen the trainers do. What I don´t understand is -who would like to have a horse that works with his weight on the front with his nose way "behind the bit"? It´s very hard to train a horse in a correct outline after he once learned to overbend his neck and withdraw from the bit. In an unexperienced persons hands this type of traing could lead to catastrophic results".

(remarks in a parenthesis is my own) On the same clinic the Dutch trainers showed how to groom a horse for "keuring".The hair on the front of and under the belly was burnt of with a candle! The trainer warned about burning inside the ears of the horse since they, due to the earwax , easily cought fire!! I thought that every normaly equipped "horse person" understod that there is a reason why horses have protective hair in their ears.If you don´t think your horse is black enough, or have white markings, you can always order some black colouring schampo.

Since one off the instructors is an approved FPS judge I contacted FPS asking their opinion of these training methods and if this is something they recommend. FPS never answered my letter. I have gotten some answers from Dutch trainers. From what they are saying you can understand that almost anything is accepted as long as it results in higher scores = higher price for the horse...

The fact that FPS and the Swedish Friesian assosiation approve of these training methods for horses to be shown for breeding evaluation can be disatrous for the future.

This is methods commonly used in Holland. This is also methods this trainer proudly shows - it makes you wonder what they don´t show
hollmet3-1.jpg

The horse on the top is an approved stallion (later taken out of the studb.)

The horse above is a young stallion (2,5 years old) in training for the stallion show 2004.

The trainer explains that this way you can train muscels you can never train in a "natural" way...

It makes you wonder if it´s still possible to train a horse in a "normal" way and still get a good judgement at the FPS keuring.

This is also what they select their breeding material from...

http://www.nobynas.se/articles.htm

Bueno y despues el escandalo de la pillada de los sementales frisones aptos que transmiten enanismo y cabezas de agua (no se como se llama en castellano ayudaaaa )

Bye ,bye frison antiguo ,gran caballo de tiro.

Es una movida... joer, no me extraña que alguien me preguntara en el youtube si le ponía cadenas al caballo para que levantara las rodillas.

¿Sabes si ya se ha hecho pública la lista de los 16 sementales que transmiten estas enfermedades?. Por más que la busco no la encuetro. Se dice "hidrocefalia".

Edito, 16 transmiten hidrocefalia y otros 12 enanismo, enanismo ya como que no.. pero lo otro... Please, ¿alguien sabe donde ver los sementales implicados?
Aunque ahora me viene otra duda... en los pedigrees casi siempre coinciden uno o más sementales. ¿Cómo saber por que línea viene el defecto? Me refiero a que es muy probable que en los papeles de mi caballo aparezca alguno, o varios de los sementales, a no ser que los que están transmitiendo sean de los de "última generación"

No me entiendo ni yo

Saludos

Vale.. los de "última generación" vienen de los ya reputados :eek: , por tanto hay un gran problema en la raza . Por lo que acabo de leer la FPS no tiene intención de ponerle el sambenito a ningún semental. Sigamos jugando a la lotería.

Hereditary Defects
Policies regarding hereditary defects, 6/18/07.
KFPS has been working hard the past years to address the issue of hereditary defects in the horse population. First an inventory has been made of the problem and then it was looked at how effective policies would have to be formulated. To begin with the emphasis is on water on the brain and dwarfism. Regularly articles have been published in Phryso about the issue. Here is an overview of the matter.
Origin
Literature shows that we can assume the hereditary defects are as old as the studbook itself. In the Stallion Book various stallions from the early years are mentioned that were carriers of dwarfism. The origins of water on the brain is less clear. The defects have always been, be it dormant, present in the population, but have increased in numbers because a number of very influential stallions were carriers. For the passing on of dwarfism the preferent stallion Ritske 202 has most likely played a big role. For the gene for water on the brain it was especially the (also preferent) stallions Wessel 237 (Ritske dam) and Oege 267, through Wessel’s sire Jarich 226. All three of the latter stallions were by the way most likely both carriers of the gene for water on the brain and dwarfism.
Inventory
Indicating which of the current stallions are carriers is seriously hampered because it’s estimated that less than 10% of the foals with defects is reported to the studbook by the breeders. To illustrate this: in 2005 and 2006 combined, e.g., only 3 foals with dwarfism were reported to KFPS. In spite of that, based on the (limited amount of) information KFPS has, an estimation has been made of the size of the problem. The estimate is that per year about 30 foals with dwarfism are born and about 50 foals with water on the brain. Of the foals with water on the brain only part is carried full term by the way. It is known that many foals with water on the brain are aborted early. The inventory has moreover rendered the estimate that the frequency with which the deviating genes occur is increasing. It is estimated that of the current studbook stallions 12 are carrier of the gene for dwarfism and 16 are carrier of the gene for water on the brain. It is emphasized that this is an estimate.
Singular recessive
It has been determined from stam/mareline research that the characteristic is passed on as a socalled singular recessive characteristic. This means that both water on the brain and dwarfism are cause by one gene pair. It does concern two different gene pairs however. With such characteristics there are three variants: free animals (AA), carriers (Aa), and patients (aa). Carriers have a normal gen and a deviating gene, and pass this deviating gene on to 50% of the offspring but do not show any symptoms of the deviation themselves. A combination of two carriers results in 1 of 4 cases in a patient. If both sire and dam’s sire are a carrier then the chance is 1 in 8 and if the sire and the grand dam’s sire are both a carrier then the chance is 1 in 16 for a defective foal.
DNA test
The KFPS has concluded from the inventory that combating the problem needs to receive the highest priority. Given that both characteristics are determined by one gene pair it is possible to develop a DNA test. With a DNA test it can be reliably determined which horses (especially stallions) are carriers. For the development of a test DNA material is needed from patients, so from dwarf foals and foals with water on the brain. The KFPS called in help for this from all veterinarians in The Netherlands. Meanwhile an attempt has already been made to develop a DNA test for dwarfism (there already is enough material available for this), but unfortunately not yet with result. Now that a new, better analyzing technique is becoming available (SNP technique) it can be expected that rather soon a test for both defects will become available.
Policies
Developing policies is not as simple as it may seem at first sight. The first objective is to prevent defective foals from being born. This can be done by preventing combinations with high risk. The most simple way would be to disapprove all carrier stallions. KFPS is, however, of the opinion that this is not desirable. Not only would this mean that a number of very valuable stallions could be lost for breeding but also the gene pool would again be diminished with an extra increase in inbreeding as a result. KFPS is of the opinion that carrier stallions have to be maintained for breeding. Moreover young carrier stallions have to, if they possess extra qualities, continue to be eligible for approval. If we do not do this then 1 in 3 young stallions will based on the DNA test not be eligible right off the bat. Of course the evaluation report will, in case of approval, include if a stallion is a carrier so that risky combinations can be prevented. To this end there will be two possibilities in the future: 1. evaluation if there are carrier stallions in the dam line of the dam and 2. a DNA test can be performed on the mare.
By setting higher demands for carriers when inspecting young stallions the number of carriers and with that the gene frequency of the deviating genes will ultimately diminish in the population. This is next to preventing defective foals a second objective.
Transitional measure
As long as there is no DNA test available, it will be impossible for KFPS to publish a list of carriers as a consequence of the minimal announcement of defective foals by the members. The chance that, based on the current information, stallions would be incorrectly singled out as a carrier or that based on such a list stallions would be incorrectly listed as a non carrier, is too big. To still minimize the number of defective foals as much as possible up to the moment that a DNA test becomes available, a meeting took place between the KFPS breeding council and the board of the VFH (stallion owners/managers). At this meeting it was agreed that the stallion owners/managers will take care of making as few as possible risky combinations. At the end of this year KFPS will review to which degree this is an effective approach and will adjust the policies accordingly.
Conclusion
KFPS realizes that by taking both defects out of the taboo atmosphere the discussion is open to all. This is inevitable. KFPS is, however, of the opinion that there absolutely no reason for panic. The number of defective foals is relatively limited. Morover it genetically concerns a relatively simple problem. With the progress of the techniques and the policies based on that both defects can therefore quickly become a problem of the past. The policies are therefore exactly and especially focused on preventing damage caused by side effects (breeding-technically taking valuable horses out, diminishing the gene pool). After all, the remedy cannot be worse than the problem.
For more information: Phryso June 2006, pg. 42 and on. (This was translated by Anneke and published in The Friesian Jan/Feb 2007). Source: KFPS website

http://www.annekesfriesians.com/friesians.htm

Segun ellos es peor el remedio que la enfermedad y que pasa con las yeguas creo que para que nazcan asi los dos padres tienen que llevar el gen.
Y los arabesfrisones etc .
No solo es el enanismo ya que un frison de 125 tiene que ser gracioso,estan desformados asi que los pobres para poco sirven.
Si tienen un poco de blanco se ponen histericos y problemones gordos esconden.
80 potros nacieron el año pasado con problemas de este tipo.

Si así es como pretenden preservar la raza... :D:D
Y como era de esperar, en los papeles de mi caballo aparece WESSEl 237 , bisabuelo por línea materna.
Rechazan como reproductores caballos negros que portan el color alazán, y permiten cubrir con caballos que dan serios problemas de salud

Regístrate ahora y pasa a formar parte de la mayor comunidad de aficionados a los caballos en español.

Cuéntanos tus experiencias, o planteanos tus preguntas. Entre todos intentaremos ayudarte.

¡Y lo mejor de todo es que es grátis!